Followers

The Principle of Flow – How being untidy taught me a valuable lesson





I’ve been very busy this week, having a big clearout. One of the perils of living in a small house and being a parent is the sheer amount of clutter that accumulates very quickly! I must admit, I’m a bit of a magpie, with an eye for a bargain and a trawler of charity shops, which definitely doesn’t help! In the past, I’ve also been quite a hoarder, which is something I’ve had to work on. 

I’ve read books on minimalism and come to the conclusion that it’s only possible if you eat out, create nothing, have no partner and no kids! But while I’m probably never going to be a minimalist (my book collection alone sees to that!), I am slowly improving.

One of the things I’ve found really helpful in getting rid of unnecessary stuff is a secret I’d like to share with you. I call it the Principle of Flow.

Simply put, everything around us is in a constant state of flux. We like to think of time as linear, but it isn’t, it’s cyclical. There’s a reason why clocks have round faces, not square ones. It’s human nature to want to hold onto things, but that’s not the way the world is. Every day I’m getting older, my life is changing. Nothing ever stays still.

Our possessions are there to serve us. The purpose of books is to be read. The purpose of a lovely coat is to be worn. But if my books are sitting on the shelf no longer being read, they have lost their sense of purpose and become a dry, dead thing. 

If my coat is hanging in my wardrobe never to be worn, it might just as well not exist. Once my things have lost their sense of purpose, it’s time for them to move on, and serve somebody else. No matter how much I once loved them, I have cut off their flow.

At this time of year, parents are waving goodbye to their children at school gates or watching their bigger children take their first steps into adulthood as they leave home and go to university. Such partings are painful. It’s something, if I’m honest, I’m dreading. Yet, even now, I’m already preparing my daughter for greater independence, teaching her the skills she will need to survive without me. I wouldn’t be a good parent if I didn’t.

As creators, we’re an essential part of the flow. Ideas come to us, sometimes with a whisper, sometimes with a shout, and we have to make them live – on paper, on screens, or on canvas. If we refuse to do so, perhaps through fear of not getting it right or worrying about how others might respond, we kill off the idea at source. 

Once I’ve turned the idea into something concrete, I then have to set it free, to let it make its own way in the world, independently of myself. The execution of the idea was mine, and mine alone, but the spark that provoked it exists outside of me, and will go on beyond me. That’s part of the cycle of life. As creative people, we get our sparks out there into the world, and if we’ve done our job, they spread and light a fire of their own.

It’s part of us, too. We’re born, we live, if we’re lucky, eighty or ninety years or so, but ultimately we die. We don’t get to take our possessions or our ideas with us. They were never really ours in the first place. But the sparks we leave behind – the words, the memories, the seeds we’ve sown and the love we’re shown – those things live on, grow, and multiply in the lives of others. 
Those things are eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

creative writing and mindfulness

Writing Across Borders - International connections

 In the last few weeks/months I've been fortunate to participate in some wonderful international events - something I could never have i...