Followers

In The Offing...

I used the phrase 'in the offing' this morning and it's such an odd-sounding phrase I wondered what its origins were. It turns out to be an old nautical word. The 'offing' is the part of the sea that can be seen from land, excluding those parts near the shore. Someone who was watching out for a ship to arrive would first see it when it was 'in the offing' and expected to dock before the next tide.

I was born in Southampton and many of my ancestors were sailors. Before she moved closer to town, my Nanny Dolly used to live in a tiny house next to the docks and would watch out for her brothers' ships to come in. In those days, the only way they could receive news was by letter, so they would only have the vaguest idea of when they were expected. Their arrival was a big event, and they would be given gifts from exotic places, as well as Uncle Bill's tall tales of life at sea. I have an African-looking necklace Nan gave me that came from one of these visits, and my brother has an Indian bowl. It's interesting that in later years I've migrated to the sea. I've always felt happiest living in places close to water. It's in my bones, I suppose. Now, whenever I say the phrase 'in the offing' I shall think of my Nan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

creative writing and mindfulness

Writing Across Borders - International connections

 In the last few weeks/months I've been fortunate to participate in some wonderful international events - something I could never have i...