Followers

Triskele: The Triple Spiral and the Trinity



I’ve been fascinated by spirals since I was a little girl. Some time ago, whilst going through my parents’ attic I came across a pile of old schoolbooks, including my first ‘English and Stories’ book from when I was six. In it, I had drawn a picture of a spiral and spent a full page writing about how lovely it was. I still vividly remember drawing it, and marvelling at how the rings seemed to go on forever and never stop, drawing on outwards like the ripples on a pond.
Later, I discovered labyrinths, spirals you can actually walk in! The slightly dizzying sensation of winding your way slowly into the centre, a sense of satisfaction at having arrived there, and the gradual unwinding until, step by step, you find yourself back at the point you started. As I walked the path, I thought of pilgrimages, of movement, of refugees, and the fact that we are all dynamic, constantly moving and growing through our lives and never really stopping. Birth, life and death, are all part of the cycle.
And then, more recently, I discovered Celtic art. It had always been with me really. I bought a book about the Book of Kells at university, and used to spend hours poring over its intricate images. I have also always loved Mediaeval illuminated manuscripts, with their boldness of vision and layers of colour. But I had never considered myself worthy of drawing them. Until now. I think we all convince ourselves, at some stage, that we are unworthy. We tell ourselves we can’t cook, can’t paint, can’t sing, can’t write poetry. Which is not true. We might not be able to do any of these things particularly well…yet. But we can all do them. The more we do them, the better we will become. I wanted to explore the spiral for myself, to feel it moving through the page as I had done all those years ago, when I was six. I picked up a pencil. I drew.
Today’s painting, which I have just completed, is based upon the Celtic Triskele, or Triple Spiral. It is, in fact, a symbol which predates even the Celtic culture, tracing its roots right back to the Neolithic era, as it can be seen at the entrance of Newgrange, Ireland. The Triskele gained popularity in its use within the Celtic culture from 500BC onwards. It was later adopted by Celtic Christianity, and appears on cathedral carvings, illuminated manuscripts and stained glass windows. It is most familiar to many from its usage on the Isle of Man flag (the flag of Sicily is surprisingly similar!)
In terms of its symbolism, theories abound. First, like the labyrinth, it can be thought to represent outward motion, its three arms moving outwards from the centre. In a spiritual sense, it might represent power or energies moving from the centre out into the world. Like wheels, it indicates action, perpetual motion, revolution.
Secondly, it is split into three parts. These can represent, variously, the cycle of life-death-rebirth; spirit-mind-body; past-present-future. For the later Christian Celts, it represented the mystery Trinity – Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the Three-in-One or Triune God.
Finally, of course, the nature of Celtic art itself represents a sort of sacred geometry. The pencil hits the paper and follows a line with no clear beginning and no true end. The line is Eternal, travelling forward to the Centre and back out into the world, with no clear sense of where one begins and the other ends. There is no clear division between the sacred and the secular, the inner and the outer worlds.

The Celts used to speak of ‘thin’ or ‘liminal’ places’ – crossover places from the Earthly to the Spiritual realm. According to the Celtic saying, “Heaven and Earth are only three feet apart, but in thin places that distance is even shorter.”

Most of us have visited places where we instinctively feel drawn towards a sense of something bigger than ourselves. Often these may be close to water, a literal crossing point from one state to another. I speak of this in my poem, Liminal, which was inspired by a trip to Rhossili, on the beautiful Gower Peninsula, a ‘thin place’ if ever there was one:

Liminal

I have come to the edge
Of what I know
In this place, that is neither
Earth nor shadow.

You are water
And I, land-locked,
Liminal, face the tearing tide
Hear the ocean's voice
Confirm my calling,
Cling to ancient rocks
With limpet fingers

But dare not step outside,
For fear of falling.

It is interesting that my sensation on visiting a liminal place seems first to have been one of fear. Perhaps the message of the Triskele or Sacred Spiral is to face that fear…and keep on going. I know that on the few occasions I have dared to do so, what has struck me most clearly was a sense of unity and interconnection, of being part of a much bigger picture. Much like the crazy spirals I was drawn to as a child, what we see now is only in part. The real ripples travel much further outwards than we could ever know – out into the universe and beyond.




No comments:

Post a Comment

creative writing and mindfulness

Writing Across Borders - International connections

 In the last few weeks/months I've been fortunate to participate in some wonderful international events - something I could never have i...